Saturday, September 6, 2008

Away on Business and Back to Business

I am home with the girls right now while Mr. Mine is whooping it up at the pool on the company dime, oops, I mean "working" in Phoenix.  He is gone until Tuesday.  I normally don't mind when he goes away on business.  I like having my own time around the house - eating all the crappy junk food I want, being messy, etc.  (Note to self: Write future post on Mr. Mine and his Annoying Health Food Problem.)  

But now that there are two kids, it is not as much fun when he is gone.  I have been home on maternity leave for the past 14 weeks.  Being alone all day with the girls makes me LIVE for when Mr. Mine comes home from work in a way I never have before, and this weekend there will be no breaks from the little ladies.

It has been fantastic to have him come home at 5:00 p.m. all summer, shovel dinner in his mouth and take R to the park for AN HOUR AND A HALF.  Oh sweet jesus, do I love that little break from R.  Time to just cuddle with Baby E and enjoy the SILENCE and NON-MOBILE BABY.  And now he is gone for 5 days, argh.

Today we have already been to the outlet mall down the street with a fistful of quarters to ride the little rides.  When R is on one, she is pointing longingly at another one.  She wants to ride both simultaneously but can't.  That is a pretty tough life lesson to learn at 22 months.  Then it was on to the park for an hour.

We are home now and she is chattering in her crib, refusing to nap.  Baby E is sleeping, thank goodness.  I just ate a Western Bacon Cheeseburger from Carl's Jr. and I quite enjoyed eating it by myself, without R demanding a "bite".  The rest of the afternoon plans include ANOTHER trip to the park.  I have to wear R out so she goes to bed at 7:00 p.m. and I can collapse on the couch with Baby E.

On Monday I go back to work full-time.  This requires it's own post, really.  But in summary, I am sad to leave the girls each day but so happy to have them competently entertained for 40 hours a week while Mommy enjoys eating and restrooming in peace and getting paid for it.  I have an EXTREMELY cushy job that amounts to helping people (okay, middle-aged men) figure out how to look at the pictures of boats, fish, golf courses, etc. that are attached to emails they receive from non-work related buddies.  Oh, and looking up directions on mapquest occasionally.  I do a few other things, but that about covers the complexity of my job.  Am I selfish for wanting quiet time at work instead of endless drudge with pockets of extreme fun and sweetness with the girls?  Maybe, but right now I have to work to pay the bills.  Perhaps someday in the near future Mr. Mine will make a few more $$$ and I can stay home full time.  We shall see.

The beasts are stirring and I must tend to them.  Happy Saturday!


1 comment:

Mandy said...

I very interested in learning more about this job that you have .. sounds like you may spend a lot of time laughing at people!!!